|Submitted: Aug 22 2007|
Updated: Feb 21 2009
undvd is dvd ripping made *simple* with an easy interface to mencoder with sensible default settings that give good results. For those times you just want to rip a movie and not consider thousands of variables.
A longer description:
All releases and distro packages:
* Fix: Ignore invalid dvd device when ripping from iso or directory.
* Fix: Audio and subtitle settings missing.
* Fix: Divide by zero bug.
* Fix: File size estimate.
* Fix: File not found on dvd scan with vidstat.
* Reclassify lsdvd as soft dependency, can now use scandvd without it.
* vidstat: compute bitrate if possible.
* Fix outpug bug on cygwin.
* Posix compatibility. Tested on FreeBSD, Solaris, OS X, Cygwin.
* Port to perl. Speed boost all around, especially in scandvd.
* Internalize all unncessary external calls, remove unneeded dependencies.
* Add time estimate on crop detection.
* Omit disc cloning by default.
* Fix: Output the right file extension in dry run mode.
* Fix: Correct subtitle id numbers.
* Validate user input.
* New --bpp option.
* Setting x:y scaling now allows breaking the original aspect ratio.
* Add more exotic codecs.
* Add full codectest report with all codecs and containers.
* New encvid tool for general purpose encoding/conversion.
* Add --version and --adv options.
* New codectest tool.
* Add --start and --version options.
* Add more codecs and containers.
* Add support for ogm container and more containers and codecs based on lavc.
* Fix parsing bugs on filenames with quotes, slashes and other special
* Use exit code 2 on bad usage.
* Support for selecting container format and audio/video codecs.
* Add audio codec and bitrate detection in vidstat.
* Add support for printing and selecting audio and subtitle numeric ids.
* Add long options to clarify usage.
* Check that $TERM is sent before outputting shell escapes.
* Make subtitle selection optional (off by default).
* Fix unpredictable behavior when both -n and -i or -q are set.
* Fix cryptic bug when dvd device is set incorrectly.
* Fix bug that occurs when crop detection fails. New behavior is to halt.
* New switch -c enables autocropping.
* Get rid of .sh suffix for executable scripts.
* Fix long suspected misbehavior due to non deterministic option parsing.
* Add packaging option: publish to ubuntu ppa.
* Smarter scaling based on a sensible constant for the number of pixels in a
frame of video instead of constant scaling along the width.
* Scaling enforces a target framesize of an even number of 16x16 pixel blocks.
* Make vidstat more resistant to bad input from video files and omit output of
* Bitrate is now set dynamically based on bpp.
* New dry-run option -D for undvd to examine encoding parameters.
* New tool vidstat to examine video files or dvds.
* Add option for disabling picture scaling, also clarify this in the userguide.
* undvd no longer needs to write temporary files to /tmp.
* Fix problem with color output on black-on-white terminals.
* Clarify usage for scandvd.
* Use flag check in ebuild would halt emerge prematurely, fixed.
* Adding support for vobcopy to clone encrypted dvds. undvd.sh now accepts
the -u flag to clone a dvd to disk that otherwise doesn't let itself be copied.
* User set bitrate. Bitrate can now be set implicitly by setting an output
filesize for the video with the -o switch.
* 2-pass encoding. 2-pass encoding is done automatically if the bitrate is set
below the default. But 1-pass or 2-pass encoding can always be overriden by
using -1 and -2.
* New option to prevent disc cloning before encoding. The -n switch can now
be used to skip copying the dvd to the harddrive first, before encoding begins.
Useful when low on disk space.
* New system sanity check. undvd can now check for all programs it needs by
supplying the -c switch. It also checks for codec support.
* New install script. While there was no official way of "installing" undvd
there is now a makefile with an "install" target, therefore "make install"
will deploy the files into the filesystem.
* Distribution specific packages:
+ gentoo ebuild
+ ubuntu .deb
+ fedora .rpm
These are all brand new and not well tested.
Fixed a bug related to the -i switch in undvd. Also added the -i switch in
scandvd, so they now have the same options for source selection.
Clarified some of the command line options a bit, added elapsed time. Also
added a note about the xine playback bug in the user guide.