|Submitted: Apr 14 2007|
Updated: Apr 27 2016
Qtractor is an audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application written in C++ with the Qt framework. Target platform is Linux, where the Jack Audio Connection Kit (JACK) for audio and the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) for MIDI are the main infrastructures to evolve as a fairly-featured Linux desktop audio workstation GUI, specially dedicated to the personal home-studio.
- Multi-track audio and MIDI sequencing and recording.
- Developed on the Qt C++ application and UI framework .
- Uses JACK  for audio and ALSA  sequencer for MIDI
as multimedia infrastructures.
- Traditional multi-track tape recorder control paradigm.
- Audio file formats support: OGG (via libvorbis ),
MP3 (via libmad , playback only), WAV, FLAC, AIFF
and many, many more (via libsndfile ).
- Standard MIDI files support (format 0 and 1).
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing.
- Unlimited number of tracks per session/project.
- Unlimited number of overlapping clips per track.
- XML encoded session/project description files (SDI).
- Point-and-click, multi-select, drag-and-drop interaction
(drag, move, drop, cut, copy, paste, paste-repeat, delete, split, merge).
- Unlimited undo/redo.
- Built-in mixer and monitor controls.
- Built-in connection patchbay control and persistence
(a-la QjackCtl ).
- LADSPA , DSSI , native VST  and LV2  plug-ins support.
- Unlimited number of plug-ins per track or bus.
- Plug-in presets, programs and chunk/configurations support, including
native VST FXB/FXP file support.
- Unlimited audio/MIDI effect send/return inserts per track or bus.
- Audio/MIDI clip fade-in/out, cross-fade (linear, quadratic, cubic).
- Audio/MIDI clip gain/volume, normalize, export.
- Audio/MIDI track and plugin parameter automation (dynamic curves,
sample&hold, linear and spline modes).
- Audio clip time-stretching (WSOLA-like or via librubberband ),
pitch-shifting (via librubberband ) and seamless sample-rate
conversion (via libsamplerate ).
- Audio/MIDI track export (mix-down, render, merge).
- Audio/MIDI metronome bar/beat clicks.
- Unlimited tempo/time-signature map.
- Unlimited location/bar markers.
- MIDI clip editor (matrix/piano roll).
- MIDI instrument definitions (a-la Cakewalk(tm) (*.ins) );
SoundFont (*.sf2) and MIDI Names XML (*.midnam) files also supported.
- MIDI controller mapping/learn/assignment (mixer and plug-in parameters).
- MIDI system exclusive (SysEx) setups.
- JACK transport sync master/slave.
- JACK session support.
- NSM (Non Session Management) support .
- MMC control surface enabled.
- MIDI Clock, Song Position cueing support.
- Configurable keyboard and MIDI controller shortcuts.
0.7.7 2016-04-27 The Haziest Photon Beta
- LV2 UI Touch feature/interface support added.
- MIDI aware plug-ins are now void from multiple or parallel instantiation.
- MIDI tracks and buses plug-in chains now honor the number of effective audio channels from the assigned audio output bus; dedicated audio output ports will keep default to the stereo two channels.
- Plug-in rescan option has been added to plug-ins selection dialog (yet another suggestion by Frank Neumann, thanks).
- Dropped the --enable-qt5 from configure as found redundant given that's the build default anyway (suggestion by Guido Scholz, thanks).
- Immediate visual sync has been added to main and MIDI clip editor thumb-views (a request by Frank Neumann, thanks).
- Fixed an old MIDI clip editor contents disappearing bug, which manifested when drawing free-hand (ie. Edit/Select Mode/Edit Draw is on) over and behind its start/beginning position (while in the lower view pane).
0.7.6 2016-04-05 A Hazier Photon Beta
- Plug-ins search path and out-of-process (aka. dummy) VST plug-in inventory scanning has been heavily refactored.
- Fixed and optimized all dummy processing for plugins with more audio inputs and/or outputs than channels on a track or bus where it's inserted.
- Fixed relative/absolute path mapping when saving/loading custom LV2 Plug-in State Presets.
0.7.5 2016-03-21 Hazy Photon Beta.
0.7.4 2016-01-28 The Tackiest Gluon
0.7.3 2015-12-29 A Tackier Gluon
0.7.2 2015-12-10 Tacky Gluon Beta
0.7.1 2015-10-09 Meson Dope Beta
0.7.0 2015-07-24 Muon Base Beta