|Submitted: Aug 31 2006|
Updated: Jul 23 2012
KBackup is a program that lets you back up any directories or files, whereby it uses an easy to use directory tree to select the things to back up.
The program was designed to be very simple in its use so that it can be used by non-computer experts.
It can do full- and incremental backups.
The storage format is the well known TAR format, whereby the data is still stored in compressed format (bzip2 or gzip).
The backup can be put onto a local directory (mounted device, etc.) but also on a remote URL (thanks to KDE KIO).
It also includes a german, french, italian, slovak, czech, portuguese, swedish and russian translation for the user interface and an english, french, russian and german handbook.
Note: the documentation for 0.7 is only current in english and german.
For the former KDE3 version 0.5.4:
You'll find all RPMs including 64bit versions for different distributions on the openSuse build service (links below)
08.09.2013 (updated 0.8 package)
- Added translation for Interlingua, thanks to Giovanni Sora
- Add dirpath wildcard filters to skip complete directories
- fix handling of output from scripts used via --script
- better error message in case non-local target in non-interactive mode
- Fix display of version number in "about" dialog
- added Fedora and Mandriva packages on openSuse build service
- Add Incremental Backup functionality
- Add wildcard filter to ignore files for backup matching a filename pattern
- updated french translation
- added czech translation (thanks to Pavel Fric)
- fixed other translation .po files
- When an error occurs while reading a file (e.g. corrupted filesystem), cancel backup
- When running in non interactive mode (e.g. cron), do not use KIO but only direct file access
as KIO needs a KDE session and $DISPLAY
This now makes the slice-reduction on the local target dir work.
- Fix handling of disk-full situation (and a crash with it)
- Avoid backup of the backup file
- make it compile with KDE Version < 4.2
24.May 2009 (0.6)
kbackup is now ported to KDE4 and has the following new features:
- Port to cmake and KDE4/Qt4, which also removes the 4GB limit per file
- sort hidden files/dirs before normal ones
- show dimmed icon for hidden files (like konqueror)
- don't allow to expand symlinked dirs as the content is not archived but only the link
- Add "Save As..." menu and store name of loaded profile, so that a save directly writes to that
- Add --autobg commandline which starts kbackup without a GUI e.g. for cron, at, ...
- Add --verbose commandline option which allows to see all files when using --autobg
- When the upload fails for a slice, offer a way to select a temporarily different target
- if target-dir does not exist, create it (mkdir -p)
- # of kept backups on target dir (per profile)
- show list of created archive slices in finish-dialog
Added 2 new distributions in the openSuse build-service: RHEL-5 and CentOS-5 (both 32 and 64 bit)
19.Jan 2008 (0.5.4)
- correctly limit slice size:
- limited by the target directory (when we store directly into a local dir)
- limited by the "tmp" dir when we create a tmp file for later upload via KIO
- limited by Qt3 (4GB on 32bit)
- limited by user defined maxSliceMBs
- sort directories first in treeview
- correctly sort by size and timestamp in treeview
- check if a file that is archived into the backup is not the backup itself
I have extended the usage of the openSuse build service.
Therefore I can offer now Suse, Mandriva and Fedora RPMs including 64bit versions.
13.Oct 2007 (0.5.3)
- Add russian handbook (thanks to Alexey Kouznetsov)
- show symbolic links with an overlayed "link" icon
- fix handling of files larger than 2GB
- avoid crash when writing special files (below /proc)
- Repackaged to add spanish translation (thanks to Gerardo Bueno)
15.Aug 2007 (0.5.2)
Finally I release a minor update to kbackup. Here is the ChangeLog:
- start with the HOME folder opened
- add a profile option to avoid media change dialog
- add a profile option to avoid compressing files at all
- Whenever a directory is only partly included, show it with blue color
- Show a dialog when the backup has finished
- automatically save/restore window size
- add "auto" commandline option to automatically start a backup and quit kbackup when done.
- added predefined slice sizes (for CDs, DVDs) in profile settings dialog
- added portuguese translation thanks to Carlos Gonçalves
Thanks to Carlos Gonçalves kbackup is now in the openSuse KDE:/Community project.
kbackup is therefore now available for openSUSE 10.2 and Factory, SUSE 10.1, 10.0 and SLE10
1.Oct 2006: (0.5.1)
- added "recent files" action
- added profile setting to define a maximum slice size
- store recent directory for file dialog
KBackup is now included in the Fedora 5 branch.
Fedora users just have to do "yum install kbackup" as root.
- added french handbook
24.Sept 2006: 0.5 released
- added systray functionality
- added profile setting to define file-prefix
- added slovak GUI translation (thanks to Jozef Riha)
- fixed Umlaut encoding for directories
- added fedora RPMs (thanks to Alain PORTAL)
- added russian translation (thanks to Alexey Kouznetsov)
- added italian translation (thanks to Andrea Sciucca)
- added german handbook
- added french GUI translation (thanks to Régis FLORET)
- added missing "unlimited" translation string
- added the RPM .spec file
- added missing .mo translation files into RPM