|Submitted: May 11 2005|
Updated: Nov 14 2010
KGraphViewer is a Graphviz dot graph file viewer for KDE. It is part of the KDE extragear graphics package.
Release of version 2.1.1. This is a bugfix only release that makes the kgraphviewer library cleaner: all necessary headers are installed and no more and with a proper d-pointer in its sole exported class. There is also a little bugfix in the background color setting dialog.
Previous version (2.1) included one new visible feature (option to set the default background color) and a bunch of bug regression corrections (thanks to new contributors) and, more importantly, new integration possibilities as the viewer can now be integrated in an application either as a plugin (KPart) or as a real widget. Note that from now on, the kgraphviewer code is hosted on the KDE git repository instead of svn.
Last but not least, Milian Wolf has setup kgraphviewer to be built on OpenSuse build service, thus giving a bunch of new binary packages for various distributions (see links below).
The editor works but is still very young. It demonstrates the use of the KGraphViewer part (KDE plugins) as a changeable view of a graph.
KGraphViewer is now included in several GNU/Linux distributions !
The tool works very well for most dot graphs. Here are some of its currently implemented features:
- threaded loading of several graphs in tabs;
- saving of the recent files list;
- manual reload of files;
- display of a bird-eye view of the graph;
- moving of the graph by dragging;
- full featured printing;
- perfect drawing of all graphviz example graphs;
- automaticaly choose dot for directed graphs and neato for undirected
- possibility to use an arbitrary layout algo as soon as it produces xdot format
- automatic reloading with user confirmation of (externaly) modified files (configurable) ;
- open new instances as new tabs in the existing window (configurable)
- help system
- background color selection
Kgraphviewer is using the boost/spirit library for graphs parsing.
See TODO in the distribution for planned features.
As usual, comments, bug reports and any help are very welcome !
Please report bugs or install problems directly on http://bugs.kde.org
and not as comments here. Thanks.
* release of version 2.1.1
* dotgraphview is now a good citizen for libraries: it has a d-pointer
* fewer include files are installed
* default background color is initialized as needed in the settings dialog
* release of version 2.1
* option to set the default background color
* source code now hosted on KDE git repository instead of svn
* preparing version 2.1
* regressions corrections
* new integration possibilities (either as a plugin (Kpart) or a widget)
* version 2.0.1 as released with KDE 4.04
* lots of progress in kgrapheditor
* precise selection of edges
* kill without error the current dot process when startting a new one
* rename some methods to avoid lexical hiding warnings
* new message boxes and new whatsthis that were delayed during 4.0 string freeze
* individual attribute changing mechanism
* new signals to inform of the current selection
* compiler warnings removal
* first version including an experimental graph editor
* RC1 of the kde4 version
* bugs correction
* now available in 26 languages !
* now available in 16 languages !
* Was crashing when closing some tabs
* Corrects a crash condition (clicking in the empty window after a failed parsing)
* Signal failed parsings with a message box
* Release of version 1.0
* Work of the KDE4 2.0 version has started
* removed a bug appearing with graphviz 2.8
* addad in the menu bar the entries from contextual menu and reported this
change in documentation
* added the possibility to disable the bird-eye view (menu, context menu,
accel, toolbar) and reported this change in documentation
* check for memory leaks
* added a font cache to optimize a little bit
* changes in config dialog now change the status of Apply button
* make appear the bird-eye view even if it was not initialy appearent when
* optimizations to be able to load and manipulate larger graphs (200+ linear
* corrected placing of window position indicator (red line) in bird eye view
* add tooltips and whatsthese everywhere
* corrected tooltips placement
* added French translation
* corrected drawing errors appearing when dragging after a zoom by updating
Qt to 3.3.6
* all graphviz example graphs are perfectly drawn
* corrected drawing of parallel edges
* corrected edges geometry definition (tips appear at wrong places)
* corrected loading of edges bounds labels
* correct handling of record shaped nodes (see graphviz examples, compare with doted results)
* corrected handling of fonts (see graphviz examples, compare with doted results)
* corrected drawing of some undirected graphs in graphviz examples (compare with doted results)
* added support for main graph label
* corrected drawing of clusters (compared with doted results)
* hack to not freeze with huge graphs. Stop loading after N vertices or edges (N currently set to 1000)
* make the window position indicator to be still visible even when zooming a
lot (min size or big bold point)
* added hard-coded min and max zoom factors
* scrolling with mouse wheel
* make minimum canvas size to window size
* reduce canvas size to graph size when its view becomes larger than itself
* better integration of printing (splitting in pages, etc.)
* printing on multiple pages or fited to one page
* applying the scaling factor to lines width (since more time but not logged)
* added print preview and setup (code reused from the koffice tool kexi)