|Submitted: Jun 15 2013|
Updated: Jun 19 2015
qCheckGMail is a yet another KDE application that uses gmail atom feed to report if a user has new email in their gmail accounts
More screenshots are on the project's page.
-The application can be build as an lxqt tray application,pure Qt tray application or a KDE status item notifier tray application.
-GMail hosted domains.Normal gmail accounts can be added without the "@gmail.com" part(recommended).Hosted domain addresses must be added with the "@ABC.XYZ" part.
- Multiple profiles(see USE_INSTRUCTIONS) for information on how to set this up.
-tray pop up bubble can show accounts by their account names or by an alternative display name.
-Operations not blocking the UI and plasma-desktop.
-Accounts information are securely stored in kwallet,libsecret or in an internal storage system powered by libgcrypt.
-Automatic new email checking with configurable time interval.
-Manual email checking.
-Ability to pause and unpause automatic email checking.
-An audio notification using KDE notification system when a new email is found.
-The tray icon is the primary way the application informs the user of the state of the application and of the email accounts.
On any error encountered,the tray icon will turn red and the tray pop up bubble with have an explanation of the error.
After an update check,if new emails are found,the tray icon will turn bluish and the tray pop up bubble will have an explanation of what accounts have new email.The icon will change its state to need attention and plasma desktop will unhide it by default.
After an update check,if all accounts have no new email,the icon will turn greyish and will change its state to normal and plasma desktop will hide it by default.
Links to external packages
archlinux package can be obtained from: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/qcheckgmail/
gentoo ebuild file is located at:
-add Spanish and French language support.
Current supported languages are:French,Spanish,Greek,Dutch and German
-attempt to fix a build issue on some distributions where .so kde libraries were not found(this is a problem that should be fixed at a distribution level)
-add build instructions text file in the source folder
-fix a build issue that created unnecessary groups
-add ability to edit properties of existing accounts
-update translation strings
- Add supports for gmail hosted domains.
- Add command line switch(-d) to show debug output on the terminal
- Fix a rare crash when an automatic mail checking and manual mail checking happen at the same time
- Fix yet another build issue on some systems.
- Store program non sensitive preferences in QSettings object. This is a backward incompatible change and hence these settings will have to be reset again.Account information stored in kwallet are not affected.
- ask a user to confirm when they want to delete an account.
- recommends to a user to restart qCheckGMail when it finds itself in a state where it is unable to check for new emails
-Added feature for this release is the ability to set wallet name and hence if you prefer,you can have your account credentials stored in kde default wallet(kdewallet).The setting is in the configuration dialog window
- Add support for building a pure QT application without any dependencies or KDE or any of its libraries.
- Add support for building an lxqt DE tray plugin application for a better integration with that desktop environment.This build will
also have no dependencies on KDE or any of its libraries.
- Add a port to Qt5,see build instructions on how to build Qt5 port
- Audio notify only when new emails are detected
- Add an option to show number of unread emails in the application icon,the option can be switched off in the config file.
- Add an option to change around application icons colors,the changes can be made through the config file.
- With KWallet storage backend,add an option to use KDE default wallet(kdewallet) or qCheckGMail wallet.
- Properly recover and continue checking for email on a shaky network connection.
- Set KDE wallet to use KDE's default wallet instead of qCheckGMail wallet.
- Fix a bug that show incorrect number of new emails when the application is set to only show one account activity
- continue to check email in other accounts when one of them fail to login.
- minimum update interval is now 1 minute.
- add an option to select what application to start when the tray icon is clicked.The changes is to be made through the config file.
- add an argument option to allow for more than once instance to be started even with KDE build
- add profile support.This allows multiple instances of qCheckGMail to be started with each instance reporting only a subset of total configured accounts.
read "USE INSTRUCTIONS" for more information on how to set this up.
- enable audio support for non kde build using mplayer.
- fix audio notification in kde build in some distributions.